Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Staying ahead

Today i was reminded that i need to be diligent when it comes to being prepped and ready for my day.

I was not ready for today.

Ive learned that its really important (more important than an extra hour of sleep) for me to be awake before the kids. I need this time to be completely alone and completely free to do whatever i choose. I need to know what our day is going to look like, so that im ready for it. I need to be pretty much dressed and able to leave the house before they wake up. So that i never have to figure out a chance for me to get myself ready...because lets face it, i might not ever get that chance! Bottom line, i need to stay ahead of the kids. Otherwise it takes me until half way through nap time to be caught up again.

In my ideal world, I have already planned what my day will be like the night before. I know my husbands work schedule. My coffee maker is already set to brew when i walk into the kitchen in the morning. I can sit in the brown chair at the window and read while i drink some coffee. I can quietly get myself dressed (EVEN MAKE UP!), and then they all start to wake up.

I feel incredible when i do this. Im one step ahead of the kids, which ive decided is a MUST in order to maintain a good mood all day and for my kids to feel satisfied.

Whenever i stick to this, it allows me time in the day to do extra things. Such as yoga during nap time or after they go to bed at night. Or a spur of the moment baking session with Forest. And it leaves no room for aimlessly roaming children who are waiting on their mom...which is something i cannot handle at all.

Wow, having two kids is a tremendous difference from having just one.

So, lesson learned. Ill try again tomorrow.


Side note:
I wrote this a few days ago but am just now posting it. I would like to say, today i woke up early, and therefore got to put on all my new make up, sweep the kitchen floor, pre-pack Forests beloved "snack pack" for the library, pre-pack my giant purse for N, and enjoy coffee alone!

1 comment:

Family of Five said...

Great post, I can completely relate! It usually takes me 30 minutes to get ready (make-up & clothes) but if the babies are up I feel like it takes 2 hours! I love days when I'm ready for the day before they wake!