Sunday, March 15, 2009

Red Envelope Day


Please note: This might offend you



I'm sure most of you have heard of "Red Envelope Day" by now.
Please check it out if you dont know what it is. However, in a nut-shell, on March 31st people will
be mailing empty red envelopes to the White House as an abortion protest. Each envelope will represent a child unborn due to abortion. Like I said, if you want the details, just google it.

Now for my possibly offensive part

Why do people insist on waisting time and money to mail in empty red envelopes to the White House? An empty envelope will not stop abortions from happening and will not help change the minds of the women who are choosing this for themselves and their unborn child.
A red envelope does not offer a second option to women faced with this decision. Why spend the time to send envelopes if we arent going to actually offer a solution/alternative option? What youre basically saying by participating in this is, "I dont want abortions to keep happening, but i have no ideas on how to get to the root issue. I just want them to be stopped".

It sure is easy for people to put a stamp on an envelope or ridiculously hold a sign outside an abortion clinic. But who is going to go to these women and actually offer them a different option?
Who is going to go along side them and help them make a different path even possible?
Who is going to sit down and actually ponder the root problem? Who is going to come up with an actual solution? Who is offering to help women make the better decision? We tell women to keep their baby, but are we helping them to make that option possible?

Perhaps the root issue is not the fact that abortions are so easily happening; but rather,
why are they happening?


How are we going to put a stop to
why? When we are able to put a stop to why, we will then in hand, naturally be putting a stop to abortion.

Now, think about it again. How is "little Susie" really going to put a stop to the
"why" by mailing in an empty red envelope on March 31st?

4 comments:

Elise said...

Thank God somebody something!!

My opinions in the last 2 years have changed drastically regarding abortion. Before I got pregnant, I thought abortion was wrong, I was a "pro-lifer"....

Like many other Christians, I had my beliefs about the issue, I was comfortable with them, everybody else seemed to believe the same thing, and I never stopped to question my belief....

After becoming pregnant, I fully understood the mentality behind why women get abortions. Did I ever seriously think about having one? No. Did I want one? Yes. Was I grateful to have the "choice"? Definetly. In an unplanned pregnancy, you just want to make it all "go away". Fortunately, I knew that God was sovereign, I knew he had created the life inside me and allowed it all to happen the way it did, and I knew he would see me through it all.

After giving birth, the thought of abortion makes me ill. Its murder. Its one of the most heinous concepts we as a society have created and we will pay the consequence for it. However, I would consider myself a "pro- choicer" these days....and if you think you Im an idiot, then when you end up raped and pregnant we can talk.

Stopping abortion has nothing to do with legislature or politics. Sending in a ridiculous red envelope will unfortunately accomplish nothing. Outlaw it and it will still happen.

Women facing unplanned pregnancies dont need your judgement, or your opinion for that matter. They need love, support, prayer, money, and encouragement. Everyone should do what they can do end abortion, but just make sure that what you're doing is actually helpful and not harmful to the cause.

The G Fam said...

I 100% agree with you Elise. I consider myself 'pro-choice' but anti-abortion. I think the people sending in the red envelopes mean well, but they are not doing much of anything to further their cause.

Anonymous said...

The red envelopes will not stop abortion, they are just to annoy and show our new president that his thinking on abortion at any point in the pregnancy is not ok with most Americans.
We live in a mixed up society. They say an unborn child is a fetus and doesn't count as a life. Then why did Scott Peterson get a double murder verdict for his wife, Lacey, and also his unborn son, Connor? Interesting isn't it?
I applaud unwed mothers who deal with morning sickness, lack of finance, etc. and choose to give their babies life. I am proud of Katie Sodurland and Elise Haro and will always admire these two young women for their bravery.

megan said...

preach sister girl, preach!!!
praying for you, Forest, and your stone these last days. you're awesome tiff!