Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Quiet in the Mornings

This morning i woke up a little on the early side, to enjoy the quiet.
There isnt much quiet around here, but i have discovered that a little bit of quiet comes out in the mornings. If i choose to sleep in , then i miss the quiet...because it hides the entire rest of the day and most of the night.
From my window the street looks like its working in slow motion. Homeless people are moving on the slower side, because they have just woken up. They seem calm and quiet. If they were to ever have a moment of epiphany, a moment of "aha!", a moment of "what am i doing?", i think it would happen in the morning.
Two mornings ago, i ran into two homeless friends of mine. The two of them pretty much flagged me down at a stop light because they were so excited to talk to me. The morning was still pretty quiet. People were still calm. They explained numerous plans of a hopeful future and goals they had set for the day. I was glad to hear them talk about such things, but i took it all with a grain of salt.
Yesterday evening i saw them eating dinner at the Rescue Mission. All the hope that I saw in their eyes in the morning, was drained out. Nothing may have come of what they were so excited to tell me. But I still remain glad for them because i know that they had a small moment of change that morning.

No comments: